Intent: Mathematics is an important creative discipline that helps us to understand and change the world. At Chaddlewood Primary School we want everyone to experience the beauty, power and enjoyment of mathematics and develop a sense of curiosity about the subject. We believe all children can achieve in mathematics, and teach in ways to secure deep understanding of mathematical concepts through manageable, small steps. We use mistakes and misconceptions as an essential part of the learning process and provide challenge for all learners through rich and sophisticated problems. We also understand the vital roles that parents play in continuing this learning at home, as our children spend time becoming true masters of the explored content.
We aim for all children to:
- have a positive attitude and self confidence in their ability, whilst showcasing their love of mathematics.
- have an appreciation of number and number operations, which enables mental calculations and written procedures to be performed efficiently, fluently and accurately.
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics so that they develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly.
- be able to solve problems by tackling questions systematically and with increasing sophistication, including in unfamiliar contexts and real-life scenarios.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry and for them to develop and present a justification, argument or proof using mathematical language.
The guides below include specific guidance about what your child will be learning about in each year group. This information is not restricted to the four operations (because these are covered in our calculation policies above). Please use the following documents for specific year groups: